Notifications
Clear all

RPI Question

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@SteveB)
Topic starter

Hoping someone can answer this question.  Despite 3 of its last 4 series against teams with RPIs of 216 or higher, Team X has had an RPI in the low to mid 30s for the past several weeks.  Yes, it swept all three series but so what.  The one series it played against a team with an RPI of mid 60s (at the time), Team X lost 2 of 3 games.  How does Team X RPI not go up after playing teams with such high RPIs?

Posted : 23/04/2024 9:19 am
 k9
(@k9_r)

Hoping someone can answer this question.  Despite 3 of its last 4 series against teams with RPIs of 216 or higher, Team X has had an RPI in the low to mid 30s for the past several weeks.  Yes, it swept all three series but so what.  The one series it played against a team with an RPI of mid 60s (at the time), Team X lost 2 of 3 games.  How does Team X RPI not go up after playing teams with such high RPIs?

My best guess is that X has a very good W/L record and a very, very good non-conf SOS to go with a good overall SOS. In the RPI formula those things combine to produce RPI. 

We are 5/6 weeks into conference season so these bad RPIs they've been playing must be conference foes. That would mean X piled up RPI credentials prior to playing them and is still living off that.

Also, we shouldn't think "so what" when X swept three series out of four recent series. That is racking up the wins which helps to compensate for the hit X took in SOS. That's not a 'so what', that's kind of a big deal.

So I'm guessing that, by mid season, X had banked a lot of RPI coin and the hit they then took playing those bad teams brought their bank down a bit but didn't overpower it. In this way, I would say that X has played the RPI game very smartly. And again, those sweeps mattered.

BTW, do the Toreros know you call them Team X? Cool  

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by k9

Posted : 23/04/2024 1:15 pm
(@Anonymous)

Lol! Busted

Posted : 25/04/2024 10:48 am

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved