Notifications
Clear all

First DSR Rankings: What do the fans think?

14 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
(@kendall-rogers)
Topic starter

Curious to see what everyone thinks of the DSR -- + it vs. RPI, etc...

Good/Bad/What the heck? Smile

https://d1baseball.com/diamond-sports-ranking/

Posted : 19/03/2024 2:44 pm
(@goldbond_and_jorts)

Curious about the starter proxy. Do teams that defeat Florida on Sunday, when our best starter is pitching, receive less value for doing so than on Friday when our second best starter is pitching?

Obvious reasons why Cags pitches Sundays and not Fridays. But does that actually noticably hurt a team that wins against him?

Also, I could see an unorthodox approach where a coach with weaker starters and strong but shallow bullpens might want to use their best starter Sunday to try and win series. Is that kind of approach slightly or significantly punished by the structure of the proxy starter values?

Posted : 19/03/2024 3:17 pm
(@DAVID L ABRAMSON)

One thing I like about the DSR is that teams aren't punished for beating bad teams.  I am a Huskers fan and because of relative northern climate, we have to play some teams that are low on every ranking metric, so the RPI punishes us for many conference and non-conference games.

Posted : 19/03/2024 3:19 pm
(@Chad Edwards)

I like the looks of it.  Has it been run against previous seasons for comparison?

Posted : 19/03/2024 3:36 pm
(@Andrew H)

As an engineer, I love the mathiness and the aggregating of data for the most complete picture. However, trying to compare across a sampling group as broad as college baseball is inherently difficult and will be flawed by assumptions at some point. The Starting metric and the conference metric are my biggest concerns. Unbalanced conference schedules in conference play and high win teams in 'low' ranked conferences are always trouble for aggregate rankings.

Like it, but the day to day variation over the past two weeks makes me nervous. Teams jumping up and down 5-10 places without playing. I hope it settles down like the RPI does as the sample size gets bigger. It is a great conversation tool, but meaningless until the last rankings if its doesn't get more predictable.

I like that it follows the old saying: 'Just win, baby, and the rankings will take care of themselves.' Seems they focused on winning games, but folks will also say 'a win isn't the same as a WIN' so we'll see how it goes. 

Posted : 19/03/2024 3:59 pm
(@cavuscottgmail-com)

Love it.

Teams don't get punished for playing and rewarded for cancelling (huge problem with the credibility of the game right now).

Sortable data.  This makes it easy to push past preconceived notions of the algorithm. i.e. click on DSR Points Rank, Vandy #1 and it's hard to argue who has played better in the last 2 wks than Vandy.  Vandy isn't DSR Rank 1, but they are points rank 1.  So it makes sense in seeing the trends in the teams that become critical for Regional Selection committee late in the season.  Inversely, look at UCLA.  59DSR, but 112points rank.  Tells the story, they aren't out of the hunt but they haven't played well and everyone watching can attest to that.  Wright State - tough start, but has started to find their legs lately and with this system you can see the story.  If Wright State lost the conference tourney, but got a top 50 DSR and Top 50 PtsRank should they be in, yes, but would RPI tell that story, probably not.

Very thankful for the presentation of DSR on D1B too.  Thank you guys, love it.

Posted : 19/03/2024 6:36 pm
(@Anonymous)

well, some oddities

Arkansas’ best win is listed as James Madison (not Oregon State)

and worst loss as also James Madison

???

Posted : 20/03/2024 7:40 am
(@doesn\'t matter)

Hmm.. my posts keep getting censored by D1 staff. So much for freedom of speech.

DSR is just another tool to boost the SEC. It favors home wins equally to road wins and doesn't factor in things like alabama leaving the state what 3x over the season? The SEC teams would be destroyed if they had to play northern schools away from their home fields. It's not surprising that D1 Baseball will promote DSR. They'll promote anything tool to boost the SEC. Like the SEC basketball, SEC baseball is also extremely overrated. Hmm... I wonder, what's the chance an SEC team will win a round 1 game in the tourney? ESPN and SEC embarrassment of epic proportions.

Posted : 21/03/2024 6:12 pm
(@TarHeel408)

The SEC teams would be destroyed if they had to play northern schools away from their home fields.

Lol. Yeah it's that pesky home field advantage that keeps northern schools from beating Southern teams....right.

The truth is that most of the best players up north head to SEC and ACC schools.

Posted : 22/03/2024 8:49 pm
(@kendall-rogers)
Topic starter

A) I haven't deleted a single post of yours. I don't see anything inflammatory.

2) you're hiding behind a fake username and posting anonymously, so with that, you kind of lose the right to post whatever you want anyway.

3) Free speech doesn't apply to a private website.

Let's play some ball today everyone lol 😉 

Posted : 23/03/2024 11:05 am
(@Andrew H)

Be sure to click that Captcha button. If you go back and edit, it will ask you to do it again. Mine got dropped for missing that. 

Posted : 23/03/2024 2:56 pm
(@Darrell KSR)

I like stats and math, and like Kentucky at # 12. Hoping for a second consecutive SEC series road win this weekend and maybe they can be ranked! I'll settle for 1 win, though. Road wins in the SEC are tough.

Posted : 25/03/2024 2:11 pm
(@Darrell KSR)

Just a note that I posted without seeing today's new Poll, which has Kentucky ranked # 24. Sorry about my confusion.

Posted : 25/03/2024 4:05 pm
(@Anonymous)

Need a full season to evaluate..

Posted : 25/03/2024 6:46 pm
Share: